Steak fajitas are a wonderful food to share during the cooler weather. I love to make this dish with a little extra kick when it gets cooler outside, just because mentally, I feel like I warm up from the inside out.
These tender steak fajitas taste like a restaurant! Learn to make juicy, seasoned beef fajitas at home with this easy recipe.
PREP: 15 mins
COOK: 30 mins
TOTAL: 1hr 15 mins
SERVINGS: 4 servings
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder divided
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak or skirt steak
- 2 medium limes zest and juice (about 1 ½ teaspoons zest and ¼ cup juice)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large yellow onion halved and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced fresh avocado
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Crumbled queso fresco or feta
- In a small bowl, place 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, coriander, and 1 teaspoon salt. Zest the 2 limes directly into a bowl, then stir to combine.
- Place the steak on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, carefully make shallow, diagonal cuts across the top of the steak.
- Repeat, making diagonals in the opposite direction to create a crosshatch pattern. Repeat on the bottom side of the steak.
- Rub the spice mix all over both sides of the steak, then place in a sturdy ziptop bag.
- In the same bowl you used for the spices (no need to rinse in between), whisk together the lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, Worcestershire, and honey.
- Pour into the bag with the steak, seal, then turn the bag to coat the steak evenly.
- Place on a plate or sheet pan and let rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour, or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Turn the bag periodically to redistribute the marinade. If refrigerating the steak, let it come to room temperature prior to cooking.
- When ready to prepare the beef fajitas, remove the steak from the marinade, shaking off any excess. Pat very dry to ensure you get a nice sear.
- To warm the tortillas, wrap them in foil and place in a 300 degrees F oven while you cook the steak and vegetables.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or similar large, sturdy skillet over medium-high heat.
- (If your skillet is not large enough to cook the entire piece of steak, cut slice it in half and cook it in batches; you also can cook the steak on an outdoor grill instead.)
- Cook the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side, until the meat reaches 140 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove to a cutting board, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes (the steak’s temperature will continue to rise as it rests; DO NOT skip resting or it will taste dry). Slice across the grain into thin (1/2- to 3/4-inch) strips.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add peppers and onions.
- Sauté, stirring often, until they soften and the onions begin to turn golden, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Continue to cook until the vegetables completely soften and are starting to caramelize, about 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir in the garlic and let cook 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat.
- To serve, arrange the meat slices on a big platter and drizzle any juices that have collected on the cutting board over the top.
- Place the vegetables beside the meat. Serve piled inside the warm tortillas, with toppings of choice.
TO STORE: Refrigerate beef and veggies in an airtight storage container for up to 2 days.
TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm beef and veggies in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
TO FREEZE: Freeze the beef and veggies in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
SERVING: 1(of 4), without tortillas or toppings
CALORIES:446kcalCARBOHYDRATES:21gPROTEIN:39gFAT:23gSATURATEDFAT:6gPOLYUNSATURATEDFAT:2gMONOUNSATURATED FAT:14gCHOLESTEROL:102mgPOTASSIUM: 1003mgFIBER: 5gSUGAR: 10gVITAMIN A: 2381IUVITAMIN C:117mgCALCIUM: 100mgIRON: 5mg