This Delicious Carrot Cake Recipe is everything you expect out of carrot cake — moist, dense, infused with a warm spice flavor and layered with a classic whipped cream cheese frosting
PREP TIME: 25MINS
COOK TIME: 20MINS
COOLING TIME: 30MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1HR 15MINS
SERVINGS: 12 SERVINGS
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil 100 grams
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour fluffed and levelled 293g
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 cup cream cheese room temperature 250g/8oz
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup whipping cream 30-35% cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray three 8″ round cake pans with non-stick spray and dust with flour if desired, tapping pan so that all excess flour is removed.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add oil and sugars and beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs and beat until completely combined.
- Add vanilla and buttermilk, and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Add flour, and stir just until no visible streaks of flour remain. Stir in carrots and nuts if using.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Transfer the cake layers to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until combined.
- Add cream and vanilla and beat on low speed until incorporated. Turn the mixer to high and beat until light and fluffy and thickened (it should be spreadable). Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Divide cream cheese frosting between cooled cake layers to assemble. Top with additional chopped nuts or decorate as desired
Use freshly shredded carrots. Freshly shredded carrots have more moisture and better flavour than pre-shredded. The extra moisture makes for a better texture!
Grease and dust the pans. A light layer of oil and a dusting of flour makes it so much easier to remove the layers from the baking pans.
Cool the cake completely. Make sure the cake is completely cool before you frost it. A warm cake will just melt the frosting!
Frosted carrot cake will last uncut in the fridge for up to 1 week. Once it’s sliced, it will last for 2-3 days.
If you want to freeze your carrot cake layers, cool completely, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap before placing them in an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to frost and serve, simply thaw overnight in the fridge and they’re ready to go!
You can also freeze any leftover slices! Simply wrap individually or place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Calories: 619cal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 366mg | Potassium: 348mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 5107IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 2mg