Nikon D3200 Flash: Illuminating Your Photography: The Nikon D3200 is a popular entry-level DSLR camera that offers an excellent combination of image quality and affordability. While it comes with a built-in flash, many photographers find it limiting in certain situations. Fortunately, the D3200 is compatible with a wide range of external flashes, allowing you to add more light and creativity to your shots.
Pros and Cons of Using an External Flash with the Nikon D3200:
- More powerful and versatile than the built-in flash, allowing for better exposure and more creative control over lighting.
- Can be used off-camera, enabling you to experiment with different angles and setups.
- Many third-party options are available at different price points, giving you more flexibility and choice.
- Can be more expensive than the built-in flash, especially if you opt for high-end models from Nikon or other major brands.
- May require additional accessories such as cables, triggers, or stands to use off-camera.
- Can be heavier and bulkier than the built-in flash, making it less convenient for on-the-go photography.
Features of the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash:
- The Nikon SB-700 Speedlight is a popular and versatile flash option that works seamlessly with the D3200. Some of its key features include:
- High-performance flash unit with a guide number of 28m/92ft (at ISO 100).
- Three illumination patterns to choose from standard, even, and center-weighted.
- Easy-to-use interface with intuitive controls and a large, bright LCD screen.
- Wireless control and compatibility with Nikon’s Creative Lighting System (CLS).
- Automatic thermal protection prevents overheating and extends the flash’s lifespan.
Specifications of the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash:
- Flash coverage: 24-120mm (FX format), 16-80mm (DX format)
- Flash duration: 1/1042s (full power), 1/20000s (minimum power)
- Recycling time: 2.5s (alkaline batteries), 1.5s (Ni-MH batteries)
- Wireless range: up to 10m (33ft)
- Weight: 360g (12.7oz) without batteries
Adding an external flash to your Nikon D3200 can significantly improve your photography and open up new creative possibilities. While there are pros and cons to consider, the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight is an excellent choice for those looking for a powerful and versatile flash unit that works seamlessly with their camera. Its advanced features and specifications make it well-suited for a wide range of photography styles and situations.
Check our list!
Can any external flash be used with the Nikon D3200?
A: The Nikon D3200 is compatible with a wide range of external flashes, including those from third-party manufacturers. However, it’s important to check the compatibility of the flash with your camera before purchasing.
What are the benefits of using an external flash with the Nikon D3200?
A: External flashes offer more power, versatility, and creative control over lighting compared to the built-in flash. They can also be used off-camera, allowing for more experimentation and flexibility in lighting setups.
Do I need additional accessories to use an external flash with the Nikon D3200?
A: It depends on how you plan to use the flash. If you want to use it off-camera, you may need additional accessories such as cables, triggers, or stands. However, if you’re using the flash on-camera, you may not need any additional equipment.
What are some popular external flash options for the Nikon D3200?
A: Some popular options include the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN560 IV, and Neewer NW680/TT680.
Can an external flash be used with the Nikon D3200 in low-light conditions?
A: Yes, an external flash can be very effective in low-light conditions by providing additional light and improving exposure.