The creamy lemon squares of your dreams take just 15 minutes of prep: Stir together a mere three ingredients to create a sunny, puckery filling for the buttery shortbread crust in this dessert.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
FOR THE CRUST
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
- 1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
How to make it :
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C degrees.
- Brush a square baking dish with melted butter.
- Crush graham crackers
- Then add in sugar and butter and blend to mix.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Cool crust, 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk.
- Add lemon juice; whisk until smooth.
- Pour filling into cooled crust; carefully spread to edges.
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Substitute 1 Tbsp. each lemon, lime and orange zest for the 3 Tbsp. lemon zest.
For a softer crust, reduce the crust baking time from 15 min. to 5 min.
You should get about 1 Tbsp. zest and 2 Tbsp. juice from each lemon.
You’d never guess that this great-tasting version of a classic dessert is made with better-for-you products and can fit into your healthful eating plan.
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g9%
Saturated Fat 2.5g13%
Trans Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 25g9%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%