Best Air Fryer Mediterranean Chickpeas
Crunchy air-fried Mediterranean chickpeas, which are prepared in less than 20 minutes, are my go-to easy way to increase my intake of legumes in my diet.
- Chickpeas (dry or canned)
- olive oil
- ground sumac powder
- harissa powder
- powdered garlic
- fine sea salt
These Mediterranean chickpeas can be made in two ways:
- quickly by using a can of chickpeas
- more inexpensively by cooking dried chickpeas.
For this dish, here’s how to cook dry chickpeas in an instant pot:
- One cup of dried chickpeas should be soaked for at least ten to twelve hours.
- After draining, place the chickpeas in an instant pot with 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt.
- After 23 minutes of high pressure cooking, execute a 20-minute natural pressure release . After finished, drain.
How should air-fried chickpeas be stored?
- in a brown paper bag (three to five days) or in a glass jar with the top slightly unfastened and refrigerated.
How much time can they be kept in the freezer?
A single month.
How long should chickpeas be cooked in an air fryer?
I’ve reduced it to 390°F for a duration of 14 minutes using my air fryer. With my pressure cooker, I have an air fryer basket insert. When my sister-in-law attempted to cook my recipe, she had to lower the temperature to 375°F for 20 minutes because her air fryer heats up much more quickly than mine does. Thus, persevere; all you need to do is adjust to your air fryer. Adjust the heat and cook the chickpeas for a longer time, shaking or stirring them after five to ten minutes, if they seem to be cooking too quickly.
Ingredients For Best Air Fryer Mediterranean Chickpeas
- 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas or one (15 oz.) can
- One tablespoon of spiced olive oil
- One teaspoon of Za’atar
- Two teaspoons of ground sumac
- One teaspoon harissa powder
- A half-tsp of garlic powder
- Half a teaspoon of fine sea salt
Directions For Best Air Fryer Mediterranean Chickpeas
- For three minutes, preheat your air fryer to 390°F.
- After draining, transfer the chickpeas to a small bowl. Incorporate the 1 tablespoon of olive oil by mixing thoroughly.
- After the air fryer has finished heating up, add the chickpeas and spread them evenly. Cook the chickpeas at 390°F for 14 minutes, shaking or stirring them after 7 minutes.
- NOTE: To achieve the same crunchiness, you will need to cook the dry chickpeas for a longer period of time if you have already cooked them. (Note: Since each air fryer is unique, check in after around 10 minutes.)
- As the chickpeas are cooking, prepare your spice mixture. In a small bowl, combine the za’atar, sumac, harissa powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Once they have finished cooking, remove the chickpeas and put them in a bowl. Add your spice mixture, drizzle with a little olive oil, and toss to coat. Alternatively, you could combine them with the spices in a Tupperware container and shake it well.
Recipe Adapted From: Angely