In this easy weeknight recipe, canned butter beans simmer with lemony, spicy, herbaceous, garlicky flavor until tender and delicious. This satisfying vegan dinner is ready in just 15 minutes!
These butter beans are a refreshing Mediterranean-style twist on the classic, with spicy, garlicky, lemony and herbaceous flavor. Serve with bread, plain pasta, or rice to capture all the sauce.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 7 mins
Total Time: 12 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Urfa pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 (15- ounce) cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 green onions, trimmed and chopped (both white and green parts)
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped dill
- Toast the seasonings. Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Once it begins to shimmer, add the red pepper flakes, urfa pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, minced garlic, and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir just until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute (do not let the garlic brown or the oil will taste bitter).
- Simmer the beans. Add the drained butter beans and the broth.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer until the beans are warm and the broth is just slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finish and serve. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, green onions, and fresh herbs.
- Serve warm, with your favorite crusty bread, rice, or tossed with cooked plain pasta.
Everything comes together very quickly, so it’s best to get your broth, spices, and beans ready before you start cooking. That way you won’t risk burning the spices or browning the garlic while you open the can of beans or broth.
If you’re sensitive to spice, start with just ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes. You can also leave them out all together if you don’t like spicy food.
Calories: 245.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.9g | Protein: 11.2g | Fat: 7.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.2g | Sodium: 964.9mg | Potassium: 570.1mg | Fiber: 10.9g | Sugar: 0.8g | Vitamin A: 1121.7IU | Vitamin C: 12.1mg | Calcium: 73.8mg | Iron: 4.9mg