Chicken Caprese Salad with spinach, juicy chicken breast, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and homemade croutons. This dinner salad is so easy to make and the homemade croutons take it over the top!
When making this salad I often use leftover chicken from a previous meal or sometimes, I pick up a rotisserie chicken. If you really want to up the bright, fresh herbal flavors of basil, make Basil Vinaigrette to drizzle over the salad after it’s been assembled.
Prep Time: 5mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 20mins
Course: Dinner, Lunch Servings: 4
For the Homemade Croutons
- 5 ounces good crusty bread, torn or cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad
- 6 ounces spinach
- 12 large basil leaves torn
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes halved
- 8 ounces mozzarella pearls
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling and dressing
- Balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- Basil Vinaigrette (optional)
- Make the croutons: In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the cubed or torn bread.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Cook, tossing the bread occasionally, until it’s toasted, crispy and golden brown.
- This should take about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Make the chicken: Take the chicken breast and slice them in half horizontally so you have four thin chicken cutlets.
- Season them on all sides with Italian seasoning and salt.
- In the same skillet where you made the croutons, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and set over medium heat.
- When the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken cutlets.
- Cook for 4 minutes, then flip over and cook the other side for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board.
- Assemble the salad: Divide the spinach, torn basil, halved tomatoes, and pearl mozzarella among 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Top each salad with homemade croutons.
- Drizzle with high quality extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Slice the chicken breasts divide among the bowls.
If you have leftover chicken you can use that too, but I would still add a sprinkling of Italian Seasoning to the salad when you add the olive oil and vinegar.
Calories: 417.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.3g | Protein: 38.6g | Fat: 26.5g | Saturated Fat: 9.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12.3g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 117.4mg | Sodium: 960.7mg | Potassium: 884.3mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 2.7g | Vitamin A: 5075.5IU | Vitamin C: 23.3mg | Calcium: 359.7mg | Iron: 2.5mg