ITALIAN MINCED BEEF PLAIT – SO QUICK & EASY TO PREPARE!
The family will love this quick and simple recipe for Italian Minced Beef Plait, which tastes like a cross between a meat loaf and a beef Wellington thanks to the concealed vegetables.
Preparation Time:fifteen minutes
Cooking Time: One hour
Total Duration:One hour, thirty minutes fifteen minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR ITALIAN MINCED BEEF PLAIT – SO QUICK & EASY TO PREPARE!
- 500 g of finely minced steak or beef
- I cut two cloves of garlic into quarters.
- One medium carrot, cut into pieces.
- One celery stick, cut into pieces
- 100g of stale bread, cut into two pieces
- 1 to 2 tsp of mixed Italian herbs
- 4 tablespoons pureed tomatoes,
- 50 grammes cubed mature cheddar cheese,
- One egg
- One teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of pepper
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry 320g
- additional egg for egg wash
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ITALIAN MINCED BEEF PLAIT – SO QUICK & EASY TO PREPARE!
- Set a large baking tray onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper and preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Transfer the ground beef to a large bowl.
- Using the chopper bowl, mince the onion and garlic together in the Wahl James Martin Grind and Chop, then add to the mince.
- Next, finely chop the celery and carrots and add them to the mince in the same Grind and Chop dish.
- To produce breadcrumbs, place the shredded bread in the Grind and Chop and add it to the mince.
- Add the cheddar cubes to the mince after grinding and chopping them until they resemble fine gravel.
- Add the egg to the mince after beating it with the Grind and Chop.
- Lastly, add the herbs, tomato puree, salt, and pepper, and use your hands to fully blend.
- After unrolling, place the pastry on the baking sheet that has been lined.
- Top the pastry with the mince, then shape it into a long brick shape, leaving 4 cm open at either end.
- Next, cut 1.5 cm strips at a 45º angle down each side using a knife.
- After cutting the pastry if needed, fold one end flap over the mince and pull up alternating pastry strips to form a plait (moisten the ends of the strips if necessary so they stay).
- When you are almost done, tuck the end of the pastry into the plait and fold over the end flap, trimming as needed.
- To finish, beat an egg in the Grind & Chop and drizzle the plait with the egg wash.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 1 hour, or until the mince is cooked and the pastry is brown.
- Serve with your preferred salad or vegetables.
Recipe Adapted From: Wahl James Martin