Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes
Making these potato cakes simply requires a few simple ingredients and is easy. Kids of all ages adore these, and they go well with any meal!
Ten minutes for preparation
In total, twenty minutes
Use this award-winning recipe for potato cakes to make excellent use of your leftover mashed potatoes.
Ingredients For Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes:
- Two cups of mashed potatoes: Two cups of already mashed potatoes are the first ingredient in this recipe. Begin fresh or make use of leftovers that might have otherwise gone bad!
- One cup of flour for all purposes: To give the potato cakes structure and a good crisp texture, add one cup of all-purpose flour.
- One chopped onion: An onion adds taste and texture.
- One egg: An egg helps glue the mixture together and adds moisture to the potato cakes.
- ½ teaspoon of salt, black pepper, ground: Grind some black pepper and salt on the potato cakes.
- ½ cup of vegetable oil, or more as required: Deep-fry the potato cakes in vegetable oil until crisp and golden.
Guidelines For Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix the mashed potatoes, flour, onion, egg, black pepper, and salt until completely incorporated, about the consistency of batter.
- In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Drop batter into the hot oil in 4-inch circles. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Proceed with any leftover batter.
How to Keep Potato Cakes Cold
You can keep any leftover potato cakes in the fridge for up to two days if you place them in an airtight container lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. For the crispiest results, reheat in the air fryer or the oven.
Can Potato Cakes Be Freeze-Stored?
Potato cakes freeze well, but they taste best fresh. The patties should be flash frozen before being moved to a freezer-safe bag or other container. For up to three months, freeze.
Advice and Accolades
One member of the All recipes community comments, “This is one of the best recipes I have found so far for leftover mashed potatoes.” “Served with sweet chilli sauce, it tastes amazing.”
Nutrition Information (per serving):