Pecan Upside Down Cake will turn your universe upside down in the best possible way! This bundt cake is light, airy, and oh so moist while the pecan topping offers the perfect amount of sweet and salty. Try this easy pecan cake recipe that is sure to become a family favorite!
The buttery, brown sugary, pecan-studded caramelized topping on this cake will have your taste buds doing a happy dance. For real. My husband kept walking by and trying to snag the pieces of pecans that had fallen off the cake because he loved it so much. Love the taste of pecan pie filling? Then you’ll love this cake as it showcases the flavors of a classic pecan pie without being as rich. It is a great cake recipe for the holiday season or really any potluck or birthday celebration.
This pecan upside down cake is a crowd-pleasing dessert that is bound to be a hit with everyone! The caramelized pecan topping is the perfect blend of sweet and salty and pairs well with the super moist and flavorful yellow cake. Make it in a bundt pan as shown or 13×9 inch pan.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Cooling Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Calories 463 kcal
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups broken pecans
- pinch of salt
- 1 box (15.25 oz) 15.25 oz Butter Recipe Yellow Cake Mix (or Yellow Cake Mix)*
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a bundt pan liberally with cooking spray, making sure to get crevices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, melted butter, corn syrup and salt.
- Stir in pecans until well combined.
- Pour into bundt pan and spread mixture evenly on bottom of pan.
- In large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, sour cream, milk, oil, eggs on low, just until moistened.
- Turn mixer up to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour cake batter over pecan mixture, spreading out evenly.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Gently run a knife along the edges of the cake to loosen it slightly.
- Place large serving plate or bowl over top of the bundt cake pan and flip over.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool to room temperature for easier cutting.
Can also bake in a 13×9 inch pan for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cake cool for one minute before running a knife along the edge and flipping over.
*Vanilla cake mix or butter pecan cake mix can be substituted.
% Daily Value*
Fat29g45%Saturated Fat 10g63%TransFat0.4gPolyunsaturatedFat7gMonounsaturatedFat10gCholesterol74mg25%Sodium95mg4%Potassium120mg3%Carbohydrates 49g16%Fiber 1g4%Sugar 33g37%Protein5g10%VitmanA439IU9%VitaminC0.3mg0%Calcium58mg6%Iron 1mg6%