Halloumi &Vegetable Skewers with Pomegranate Tahini Sauce
This easy marinade’s secret component is pomegranate molasses, Halloumi &Vegetable Skewers with Pomegranate Tahini Sauce, After just 30 minutes of marinating, its zesty, sweet, and earthy overtones give cheese and veggie skewers a long-cooked depth of flavour, while the pleasantly bitter tahini rounds things up. Thinned with fresh orange juice, the pomegranate-tahini marinade adds the ideal sweet-savoury finish to the skewers. It goes above and beyond as a finishing drizzle. To avoid flare-ups when grilling or broiling, make sure to soak wooden skewers in water before threading on the cheese and vegetables.
Ingredients For Halloumi &Vegetable Skewers with Pomegranate Tahini Sauce:
- ½ cup well-stirred tahini
- Six tsp pure virgin olive oil
- Ten teaspoons of freshly squeezed orange juice (from two oranges), divided as needed
- Two tablespoons of pomegranate syrup
- One and a half tsp kosher salt
- One-half teaspoon of black pepper
- One medium (8-ounce) bell pepper (approximately 1 1/2 cups) sliced into 1-inch chunks
- One tiny (7-ounce) red onion, sliced into ten wedges that are 1/2 inch thick
- One cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound of cubed Halloumi cheese (1 inch in size)
- To serve, mix cooked white rice with finely chopped fresh cilantro.
- After soaking for 20 minutes in a big basin or sealed bag filled with water, take out the ten (8-inch) wooden skewers.
Instructions For Halloumi &Vegetable Skewers with Pomegranate Tahini Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tahini, oil, pomegranate molasses, 5 tablespoons orange juice, salt and black pepper until smooth and emulsified. Transfer half a cup of sauce into a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate for up to five days or until needed. Evenly thread tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and halloumi onto wooden skewers. After putting the skewers on a sizeable baking sheet, evenly spray them with the remaining sauce (about half a cup) in a medium bowl. Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour at room temperature.
- Grill on medium-high heat, 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. After placing the skewers on lightly oiled grates, cover and grill for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating occasionally, until the meat is cooked and gently browned. Move to a dish and top with rice.
- As necessary to get the appropriate consistency, stir in the remaining 5 tablespoons of orange juice into the reserved 1/2 cup sauce. Drizzle over rice and skewers of vegetables; garnish with cilantro. Serve right away.
As an alternative, you can broil the skewers by covering their ends with aluminium foil to keep them from burning. Place skewers on a baking pan that has been oiled. For about 8 minutes, broil the skewers at a distance of 4 1/2 inches from the heat source, turning them over halfway through.
Recipe Adapted From: Kelsey Jane Youngman