A devilishly delicious and moist chocolate mocha cake recipe. With a rich, and boozy, chocolate ganache. Perfect for a night in, or an afternoon coffee.
PREP TIME: 15mins
COOK TIME: 1hr
TOTAL TIME: 2hrs 15mins
SERVINGS: 8 people
Filling and Topping:
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 20 ounces semisweet chocolate,finely chopped-plus 2 ounces chopped separately
- 1/3 cup rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs-separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir first 3 ingredients in large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and cream comes to a simmer.
- Remove from heat. Add 20 ounces chocolate. Whisk until melted and smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla and rum.
- Transfer 1 cup warm chocolate mixture to small bowl. Whisk in remaining 2 ounces of chocolate.
- Cover,set aside,and let stand at room temperature. This will be the topping.
- Transfer remaining chocolate mixture to a large bowl for the filling.
- Chill until cold and thick. At least 6 hours.
- Stir water and sugar in small saucepan over low heat just until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and mix in rum. Let stand.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9″x 9″ x 2″ cake pan.
- Combine vanilla and coffee powder in a small bowl or cup. Swirl to dissolve coffee.
- Sift flour,cocoa,and baking soda into small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer,beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in medium mixing bowl until thick and light in color,about 3 minutes. Beat in coffee/vanilla mixture.
- Using clean dry beaters,beat egg whites,cream of tartar,and salt in large bowl untl soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture alternating with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan. Cake will shrink slightly.
- Turn cake out onto flat surface and cut in half horizontally using serrated knife. Place bottom half on plate cut side up.
- Drizzle half of syrup over layer.
- Using electric mixer,beat cold chocolate filling until thick,creamy,and spreadable.
- Spread all of filling evenly over cake layer. Filling layer will be about an inch thick.
- Drizzle remaining syrup over cut side of second cake layer.
- Place layer syrup side down on top of filling. Press gently.
- Rewarm topping until just pourable and pour over center of cake.
- Using a knife or spatula,carefully spread to edges. It’s okay if a little runs over.
- Cover with cake dome and chill until ready to serve