Cube Steak With Onion Gravy
Cubed steak with Onion Gravy is a cheap and simple way to feed your family beef. Cubed steaks are pan-fried and coated in flour; the onion gravy that coats this country-style steak is incredibly flavorful, derived from a large sliced onion as well as a packet of dry onion soup mix.
Ingredients For Cube Steak With Onion Gravy:
- 1/2 pound of steak cubes
- One-third cup flour
- Half a teaspoon of salt with garlic
- Half a teaspoon of pepper, black
- Half a cup of vegetable oil
- One large onion, cut into slices
- One fourteen-oz can of beef broth
- One container of dried onion soup mix
Instructions For Cube Steak With Onion Gravy:
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, mix flour, black pepper, and garlic salt. Coat the cubed steak in the flour mixture on both sides.
- In a big skillet (ideally cast iron), heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the steak, cooking it in two batches if needed.
- Simmer for five minutes on each side. Remove and place steak aside from skillet.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of the flour you used to dredge the steak to the pan drippings if you wish to slightly thicken the sauce.
- To the pan drippings, add onion, stock, and onion soup mix. Scrape up any browned chunks that have adhered to the pan’s bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Simmer for a while, or until the onions are tender.
- Place meat back in pan to reheat. Accompany with mashed potatoes.
Tips for a Moist Cube Steak:
- How can you prevent the toughness of cube steak?
Take care not to pack the skillet with too many cube steaks. Giving each too little space increases the chance of overcooking and toughening it. Over medium-high heat, cook each steak for two to three minutes on each side, for a total cooking time of four to six minutes.
- For the finest results, cook the steak slowly and low. This recipe won’t work at a higher temperature.
Should your cube steaks be tough, they probably require additional cooking time to soften the tough tissues. Recover them and cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes.
- Not even a Dutch oven? On the skillet, brown the steaks and prepare the sauce. Then, move the mixture to a casserole dish and cover it to bake.
Air fryer Method;
Cook for 6 minutes at 380°, then turn the steaks over and continue cooking for an additional 3–4 minutes, or until done to preference.