This flavorful carrot soup with Mediterranean spices and fresh ginger is warming, creamy (but not too heavy!) and totally comforting. It also freezes exceptionally well, so you may want to make a big batch and freeze for a rainy day.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup whole milk
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Get ready. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Brush a sheet pan with olive oil.
- Roast the carrots. Arrange the carrots on the prepared sheet pan.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Roast for 25 minutes, then flip and roast until the carrots are fork tender and nicely caramelized, about 20 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Blend. When the carrots are cool enough to handle, cut into chunks and place in a large food processor or blender.
- Add the garlic, ginger and 3 cups of the broth.
- Puree until the mixture is smooth.
- Simmer. Transfer the carrot puree to a heavy cooking pot.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of broth, coriander and allspice.
- Place the pot on medium heat and watch carefully as the soup bubbles.
- Stir occasionally until reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the milk. Turn the heat to medium-low and stir in the milk.
- Once heated through, remove from the stove.
- Serve. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with fresh mint leaves, if using. Enjoy!
To refrigerate: Seal and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To freeze: Allow the soup to cool fully. Seal in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months, then thaw in the fridge overnight.
To reheat: Reheat thawed or refrigerated soup in the microwave or stovetop over medium heat, adding more broth or water as necessary.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 27.3g | Protein: 4.5g | Fat: 1.9g | Saturated Fat: 0.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 4.9mg | Sodium: 172.7mg | Potassium: 803.9mg | Fiber: 7.5g | Sugar: 13.6g | Vitamin A: 37956.4IU | Vitamin C: 14.2mg | Calcium: 133.1mg | Iron: 0.8mg