This Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken is loaded with tropical flavor. Chicken thighs and a colorful blend of bell peppers are cooked low and slow in a thick, sweet, and tangy pineapple brown sugar sauce then served over rice!
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 3 hrs 30 mins
Total Time: 4 hrs
Course: Dinner, Lunch:
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Cooked rice for serving
- Green onions for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- Grease a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, minced garlic, and minced ginger.
- Pour half of the sauce into the prepared crockpot, top with chicken thighs and peppers, then pour on remaining sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk orange juice and cornstarch together until smooth, then slowly whisk into the sauce until well combined.
- Cut the chicken into large chunks and stir back into crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes.
- Taste and re-season, if desired, then serve over rice with optional garnishes and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
- Add pineapple chunks. A lot of sweet Hawaiian chicken recipes call for pineapple chunks for even more tropical flavor, sweetness, and added texture. Feel free to add some, if desired.
- Use a different meat. Beef, pork, or turkey will all work.
- Add more veggies. Pretty much any veggies you want should work — broccoli or green beans would be great! I would add them in the last hour of cook time so they don’t get mushy.
- Spice it up. Give it a kick of heat by mixing in some crushed red pepper flakes or sriracha.
- Make it smoky. Stir in some BBQ sauce for a thicker, sweeter, smokier sauce.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEET HAWAIIAN CHICKEN
I love to serve this sweet Hawaiian crockpot chicken over rice and topped with green onions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes. It’s also delicious paired with a couple of yummy sides!
- Dinner Rolls
- BBQ Baked Beans
- Roasted Vegetables
- Potato Salad
HOW TO STORE
Leftover Hawaiian chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or warm on the stove until heated through
Serving: 1person | Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 1533mg | Potassium: 856mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 758IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 2mg